Thursday 1 December 2011

Scottish Tablet



I started this blog merely as I record of what I have cooked and so that I would be able to access my recipes anywhere in the world. I have always hated writing so thought that his was going to be a bit of a chore but the more I blog the more I enjoy it. There is this whole community of cooks out there just waiting to share their knowledge and experience. I have blogged before about how it is a shame that the WI is so out dated in its format. I suppose blogs are the new WI and it is events such as lets make Christmas which take us from the virtual to the physical. 


Tablet is a scottish fudge but it is much harder and melts in your mouth rather then needing to be chewed. It is another item heading towards my christmas hampers, I am trying to wrap everything inside them to the same theme green raffia, brown greaseproof and pink parcel paper.



Life in our flat has been made marginally more dramatic this week by one of the flatmates deciding he and a friend were going to put her head and his had through one of our glass doors. Lets just stay this was not one of their wisest moves. Consequently he now needs surgery to put the tendons in his hand back together, not the best timing when his exams start on monday.Although on a selfish note I am rather enjoying not being the cripple for once. I broke my arm very badly and everyone spent the summer laughing at me for being incapable (Someone had to do my bra up for me for two months). Now he is the one who can't put the tooth paste on his brush and has to have his food cut up.




Ingredients:



1 pint/500ml water
8oz/225g butter, chopped into pieces
4 lbs/1.8kg caster sugar (golden gives it more colour)
400g tin of condensed milk

Preparation:


In a heavy based 4-pint sauce pan heat the water to a low simmer then add the butter. Stir until melted. Add the sugar and stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Raise the heat to high and bring the sugar to a hard boil for 5 minutes (the mixture should boil really fiercely which helps to reduce the liquid and colour the mixture) stirring all the time to prevent the sugar from sticking and burning. If you have a thermometer take the temperature to 120°C.

Once the sugar is boiling, slowly add the condensed milk. Stir well then lower the heat and simmer for 20 mins. The mixture will bubble and also start to slightly darken.

After twenty minutes remove the pan from the stove and beat the mixture (I used an electric whisk) vigorously for 5 mins.

Pour into the greased pan and when the tablet is cool but still soft, cut into 1" squares. Once completely cold wrap in greaseproof paper and store in an airtight tin. The recipe said to use a 7'' square tin which I followed but would not advise this makes thick tablet which can only be cut into very large pieces I would use a tin double this size. More like a baking tray or a swiss role tin. This aside I was very pleased with the outcome of this recipe. Beware it does make and awful lot this recipe.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete