Monday 27 June 2011

Baked smoked haddock creams.

I made these the other day for my brother for lunch and served them with salad from the garden. But they are designed to be a starter. I'm afraid I did not manage to take a picture. The best way I can describe them is a quiche with no pastry so they felt much lighter than having a quiche. If you are on a diet or just generally very healthy I can't see why you could not use single cream instead of double. 

300g Smoked haddock un-dyed is nicer
1 Bay leaf
150ml Milk
150ml Double cream
3 Egg yolks
1tbsp Chives chopped
Nutmeg

Pre heat oven 175C or in a 2 door Aga bottom of the roasting oven on the grid with one cold shelf. I found that this was fine but if your Aga is hot you may need to watch them and put in a cold shelf. Skin the fish then poach it for 5mins in the milk with pepper and a bay leaf don't add salt the smoking should have made the fish salty enough. The fish should be only just cooked at this point. Flake fish into 6 separate 4oz ramekins. In a mixing bowl mix yolks, cream, chives and nutmeg whisk thoroughly. Whisk in the hot milk and pour over fish. fork the fish to the top of the ramekins. Bake for 15-20 mins then leave them out of the oven resting for 10 minutes. I was in a rush and to my detriment tried to avoid this stage don't do this. The ten minutes cooling slightly allows the egg to set enough to turn them out with out overcooking. They should be nice and golden brown around the edges. Run a knife around the edge before turning out the look nicest if you serve them cooking side up. These can be cooked in advance and reheated at the same temp they are cooked at. I don't know how many days in advance you can make them as I have yet to experiment but you can definitely do them in the morning for a dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment